Monday 8 October 2007

I cannot believe I missed this.

The TARDIS was in Stafford. I am so gutted that I missed it. Thanks to Chris and Dave for telling me about it, you b@stards... :-)
I may not have mentioned this, but I have a serious Dr. Who obsession. I love it with a passion that is almost holy. Always have, right back to when I was tiny and hiding behind a cushion at the sight of the Cybermen. Daleks never bothered me, as all you had to do was run down some stairs and they were stuffed. This was in the good old days. I grew up knowing that Daleks could not get me, as long as there were stairs.

In the very last series, pre-Russell T. Davies and Chris Eccleston and BBC Wales, Sylvester McCoy was the Doctor. And in one story-arc, the name of which escapes me now (Remembrance of the Daleks? - bear with me, I'm having one of those days) the Daleks stage a comeback, taking over people's minds and hiding out in a school. Ace is running away from them, and runs up stairs, knowing, like me, that they can't follow her.

What do they do? The bloody thing flies. It takes off and levitates gently up the stairs. I was utterly horrified. Devastated. One of the basic foundations of my life crumbled before my very eyes. Daleks can bloody well fly. Probably only a truly dedicated Dr. Who fan can fully understand the total horror of this, which reduced me to an abject, gibbering wreck. I was about 12 or 13 years old, and I was scarred for life.

Onto more usual subject-matter. I have been Ravelling, which has not been such a ridiculous time-stealer as I feared. In fact, it's rather nice, like having a really big knitting book to hand with lots of lovely pictures. I have joined up to some groups, unusual for me as I'm not much of a "joiner" normally. I even found a Runrig group. My joy knew no bounds. For those who have no idea of what I'm talking about, Runrig are a Scottish folk-rock (for want of a better term) band who kick some serious ass. They also sing part of the time in Scots Gaelic, which is possibly the most lovely language I've ever heard. Can't understand a word of it, but that's not the point.

I've also been potting. I went to a sale at Potclays at the weekend, part of the Stoke Ceramics Festival. Nothing like some new toys to inspire a rush of creativity. I just caught up on some glazing, and gave some thought about where I go next with clay. I've got some ideas, but none are formed enough yet to really discuss. I need to let them stew a bit more I think.

Finally I notice, courtesy of my counter, that I do actually get some visitors!
* waves to the readers *

Please leave a comment, even if it's only to say hello, it's nice for me to know there's someone out there...

1 comment:

Martha said...

I think your posts to Ravelry about Doctor Who are several YEARS old but your profile picture caught my eye because I am completely in love with Doctor Who. I may be completely in love with David Tennant as Doctor Who also, but I love Doctor Who. The new season begins here in the US in a couple weeks on BBC America. . . Hope you're still a fan and a knitter!