Sunday 24 February 2008

You know the times...

...when you wish you were somewhere else?

Got that, big-style. I need big skies and clean air, high, snowy mountains and deep, wooded glens, the waves breaking on the beach. Space to wander, emptiness to cleanse the mind, the wind blowing away the fusty winter cobwebs. Soft accents, easy on the ear, and solitude just a few steps away. The Highlands. I've been away too long.

It's strange, that one can have such strong ties, such a feeling of rightness, in a place where you have no roots, no history, no reason to belong.

We're due to go to Skye, somewhere I've not yet been, later this year. But I don't want to wait that long. *sigh* Guess I'll have to. In the meantime, I'll listen to Runrig and pine for my adopted homeland.

There's a quotation, I think from Ring of Bright Water, that would fit beautifully here, about how man needs the wilderness. But I can't find the bloody thing anywhere. If you happen to know it, sing out in the comments please!

No comments: