Sunday 14 September 2008

In Tune With Nature

Today I did gardening. I have been putting it off for far too long, and I'm nowhere near done, but I realised how much I enjoy taking a scruffy, overgrown weed patch and sorting it out, how satisfying it is to drag 10 feet of bramble (no word of a lie, easily ten feet long)out of a poor Rhododendron ponticum. I planted hardy geraniums, romanesco caulis and pak choi, more in hope than expectation :-) and I realised how out-of-tune with nature I'd been just recently. So I made time to just sit, look and experience it all again. There are two robins squabbling mightily over territory, singing their hearts out and chasing each other in and out of the escallonia and up and down the path, to see who will have the rights over my garden for the winter. A peacock butterfly came and investigated my marigolds, one of the very few butterflies I've seen all year. Enormous bumblebees mistook my compost bag for flowers, and I happily watched them sliding off the shiny plastic, buzzing confusedly. The gorgeous purple hebe in the garden was thick with bees and hoverflies. Then I saw one of the most emotive sights, especially for a gardener. The swallows are starting to gather on the telephone wires over the farmyard. Autumn cannot be far away.

~*~

No comments: