Thursday 27 October 2011

Dinner

I would like Nigel Slater as a neighbour. He could pop round with his latest culinary experiment, or leftovers.

I'm sure you're all familiar with him, but I'm going to wax lyrical for a moment anyway. My blog ☺

He describes himself as a cook who writes, and (unlike many so-called chefs) is actually very good at both. Maybe because he is a cook, not a chef. His description of a roast chicken has sent me more than once drooling to the nearest shop for a half-decent bird for dinner. Unlike a lot of cookery books (and I have an unreasonable amount) I actually use his recipes and ideas, whereas I usually just look at the pictures, go "oh that looks nice" and put the book back on the shelf.I like the way he encourages you to experiment, rather than following a recipe blindly. I am completely incapable of following a recipe to the letter, apart from when I'm baking. Even then it's not a given that I'll do what I'm told...

Tonight I made cabbage soup. Not very exciting, right? Well, let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious. The recipe is from Tender, his vegetable book, which I treated myself to. Highly recommended, it's a beautifully produced book, in hardback and at a very good price on Amazon ☺ I'm reading my way through it - I'm up to Pumpkin so far. If you want to eat more veggies (there's plenty of meaty recipes too) this is a good place to start, and it would be great if you have a veggie box delivered and are wondering what the hell to do with beetroots or chard.

Anyway. Cabbage soup. I swapped the plain potato for sweet potato, because that's what fell out of the fridge first, and I guessed at quantities as I just made it for me. I used a Sweetheart cabbage, mainly because that's what looked nice in the shop ☺ I also didn't add any bay because I haven't got any. Absolutely amazing. I've got a bit left so I'm hoping it keeps well. If so, I'll have it for lunch tomorrow and think about making some to take to work.

I've got Appetite and the Kitchen Diaries coming for my birthday present from Mum and Dad...

~~~

and soon I will be showing you my entirely unrelated new toy!!!

~♥~

No comments: